A truly South African reading instruction programme developed to inspire a love of reading
Vuma is a carefully levelled, South African reading instruction programme that will inspire a love of reading and ensure that children learn to read with comprehension. The fun-loving South African characters and local settings will engage young learners with rich storytelling they can relate to.
The programme will enable teachers to assess, monitor and support reading and comprehension progress easily and effectively. It has a number of different components that work together to improve reading outcomes.
- Levelled Readers and Big Books written in the language in which they have been published.
- Teacher’s Guides that include resources and step-by-step instructions to help you use the various components of the programme.
- Workbooks that provide further reading practice to ensure learners develop essential reading skills.
- Alphabet Frieze, Posters, Context Cards and Audio Stories to support your teaching in the classroom.
Vuma is currently available for Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu and Sepedi Home Languages, as well as English First Additional Language.
Helping learners to read with understanding
For us, it’s not enough just to make products and provide services. We need to know that they are working and that they deliver the most positive impact to our learners. We have worked closely with schools and teachers to ensure Vuma provides learners and teachers with the tools required to improve reading.
Hear what our teachers tell us about using Vuma in their classrooms and how Vuma makes learning to read and enjoyable activity and encourages learners to read with confidence.
In 2016 and 2017 we conducted a study to compare the reading progress of learners using Vuma English First Additional Language with learners not using Vuma, at schools across Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal. Here are some of the findings:
- Grade 1 Vuma learners out-performed non-Vuma learners by 9%.
- 96% of teachers agreed that Vuma increases productivity.
- 83% of teachers strongly agreed that Vuma improves the quality of their work.
Over the three years that a dual-medium school in Cape Town used Vuma in the Foundation Phase, the performance in the Grade 3 Language systemic tests improved dramatically.
- The Grade 3 Language pass rate improved from 50% in 2015 to 71.7% in 2018.
- The Grade 3 Language average score improved from 40% in 2015 to 60.4% in 2018.
Vuma makes learning to read and enjoyable activity and encourages learners to read with confidence.