A truly South African reading instruction programme developed to inspire a love of reading
Vuma is a carefully levelled, South African reading instruction programme filled with fun, age-appropriate stories that centre around a diverse group of loveable characters to whom all South African children can relate.
The programme will enable teachers to assess, monitor and support reading and comprehension in the Foundation Phase easily and effectively.
Vuma has a number of different resources that work together to offer a comprehensive reading solution:
- Leveled Readers and Big Books written in the language in which they have been published.
- Teacher’s Guides that include resources and step-by-step instructions to help you use the various components of the programme.
- Workbooks that provide further reading practice to ensure learners develop essential reading skills.
- Alphabet Frieze, Posters, Context Cards and Audio Stories to support your teaching in the classroom.
Vuma is currently available for Afrikaans, isiXhosa, isiZulu and Sepedi Home Language as well as English First Additional Language.
Helping learners to read with understanding
At Pearson, we take responsibility for the products we offer schools. In 2016 and 2017 we conducted studies to compare the reading progress of learners using Vuma English First Additional Language with learners not using Vuma in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal.
Here are some of the findings:
- Grade 1 Vuma learners out-performed non-Vuma learners by 9%.
- 96% of teachers agreed that Vuma increases productivity.
- 83% of teachers strongly agreed that Vuma improves the quality of their work.
To learn more, watch this video of a school in KwaZulu-Natal that used Vuma and saw positive results.